2021 is quickly drawing to a close. However, there’s still time an impact in the lives of others by making tax-deductible donations before the clock strikes midnight on December 31. Here are some ideas.
- Operation Shoebox. Shoebox collection week has come and gone. However, you can still participate in Operation Shoebox by packing a shoebox online at https://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/buildonline/ You select the items you want to include in your box, and volunteers will pack the boxes, which will be delivered in the coming months. You can also donate $9 to deliver a box that another person has packed.
- Samaritan’s Purse Gift Catalog, You can purchase gifts year-round to help those in need. Gifts options include providing food to hungry children, purchasing chickens or honeybees to help a family start a business, providing clean water for a community, rescuing children in crisis, and assisting refugees. Learn more at: https://www.samaritanspurse.org/our-ministry/gift-catalog/
- Disaster Relief. Every year many communities are impacted by natural disasters. Many, many families lost loved ones, homes, and belongings in the tornadoes that ravaged five states recently. A super typhoon struck the Philippines days before Christmas. Please consider making a donation to an organization that provides disaster relief. These organizations include:
- The Red Cross https://www.redcross.org/
- Convoy of Hope https://convoyofhope.org/
- Salvation Army https://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/
- Samaritan’s Purse https://www.samaritanspurse.org/
- St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital– https://www.stjude.org/ Make a donation to help a critically ill child get needed treatment at no cost to their parents.
- Your local food bank. Food banks serve their communities year round to ensure that everyone has access to healthy food.
There are many, many other charitable organizations that are fulfilling Christ’s command to care for those in need. Pray earnestly about which organizations God would have you support.
“Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’”
“Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’ ” Matthew 25:34-40
NOTE: Donations sent by mail and postmarked by December 31 are considered as 2021 donations, regardless of when they are received.