Last week, we looked at principles of budgeting. This week we talk about applying those principles to your actual budget. Budgeting principles will never help you accomplish your financial goals until you begin to apply them. God expects us to use the financial resources He provides us wisely. When we demonstrate an ability to do that, God can entrust us with more.
Luke 16:12 “And if you have not been faithful in that which is another’s, who will give you that which is your own?”
Root of Budget Problems: Attitude
Attitudes that lead to budget problems can manifest themselves as greed, covetousness, ignorance, indulgence, or impatience. (Larry Burkett, Christian Financial Concepts)
1) Greed-__________________ desire, especially for wealth or possessions.
The Bible warns against greed.
Luke 12:15 Then he said to them, “Watch out! Be on your __________ against all kinds of ____________; life does not consist in an abundance of ____________________.”
2) Covetousness— ______________desirous of wealth or possessions.
Covetousness is specifically forbidden in the Ten Commandments.
Deuteronomy 5:21 “You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife. You shall not set your ________________ on your neighbor’s house or land, his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or __________________ that belongs to your neighbor.”
3) Ignorance—not counting the _______________cost of owning an item.
Problems that arise from ignorance include:
- ______________ things you cannot afford because you haven’t properly considered the purchase ____________, finance charges, ______________costs, maintenance and _________________
- Failure to properly balance your checking __________________ and check for bank ____________
4) Indulgence—buying something of little or no _______________ to you
Indulgence purchases frequently wind up in garage sales or collecting dust.
To avoid indulgence purchases:
- _____________ your need for the item desired
- __________________money to pay for it
- _________________ out the best buy
- ________________ about whether or not to make the purchase
James 5:1, 5 “Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the ________________ that is coming on you….You have lived on earth in _______________ and self-indulgence.”
5) Impatience–_______________ desire for change and excitement. Impatience manifests itself in:
- Making _______________ purchases. Before you buy, identify your need, allocate the money, search out the best buy, and pray about the purchase
- Trying to get _____________ quickly
Proverbs 28:22 “The _____________ are eager to get rich and are unaware that __________________ awaits them.”
Two Common Tendencies of Budgeting:
1) Set plans but never _______________ them.
2) Set __________________ plans.
1) ______________ the current situation
2) ______________ where you need to go
3) _______________ a realistic plan to get there