Many people take time on Thanksgiving to count their blessings and give thanks, yet they forget to thank the One from whom they have received their blessings. Thanksgiving is a day to thank God for the blessings He has bestowed on us and our nation. As you gather around your Thanksgiving feast today, I encourage you to take a moment to thank God for all He has done for you.
I’d like to share a few of the many, many blessings God has bestowed on me.
1) My large, wonderful family. I am blessed with an amazing family. We currently number 39 with two babies on the way.
2) A wonderful church family. We are members of a spirit-filled, God-loving congregation. Each week we hear an inspired message from God’s word, and I have the opportunity to minister to children through Girls Ministries and children’s church.
3) A great job that I love. In a time when so many, including my husband, have been unemployed for long periods of time, I am thankful that I have a job with great benefits that I enjoy. I am rewarded each day as I help individuals desiring to start a business to assess their options, evaluate the opportunities, and navigate the requirements for opening a business.
4) The freedoms afforded us in our great nation. It’s true that our nation is facing many challenges and that many of our religious freedoms have been restricted in recent years. However, America is still “the land of the free and the home of the brave” and I am proud to be a citizen of this great nation.
5) All the comforts of a middle-class lifestyle. We aren’t rich, but in comparison to most of the world, we are extremely wealthy. I am thankful to have a warm home, plenty of food, and more clothing than I really need. All of my necessities are met and most of my wants.
6) The ability to share my blessings with others. Opportunities present themselves each day to share the blessings God has bestowed on me and my family with others who have not been blessed as much materially. It is a privilege and a joy to sponsor a child in the Dominican Republic, to donate food to locate food distribution ministries, to pack shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child, and to take advantages of other opportunites to bring hope and joy to those from whom life is more challenging.
When you count your blessings this day, I pray that you will be filled with joy, hope, and thankfulness and that you will remember to thank the One who has so blessed you.
“Let us come before him with thanksgiving.” Psalm 95:2
“Praise God from whom all blessings flow
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above ye heavenly host
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.”
What blessings are you most thankful for this Thanksgiving?